ConvaTec Stomahesive Paste
ConvaTec 183910 Stomahesive Pectin based paste, is used as a hyrocolloid based protective skin barrier and can be used as a filler in uneven skin surfaces to help increase ostomy system wear-time and protect skin.
Most people don’t think much about how the food they eat affects their waste, unless their body’s response is frequently inconvenient. For those living with an ostomy, however, making intelligent and informed diet and nutrition choices is the only way to control when – and how often – a pouch fills with waste and gas.
What makes the digestive system move quickly, and what stops things from moving (food blockages)? What causes waste to be more liquid or more solid? Which foods create more odors? Which foods produce more gas – not necessarily the same thing?
Whether or not you’re living with an ostomy, making informed diet choices and knowing how certain foods affect your digestive tract can be a good thing! Here are a few digestive tips for ostomates and non-ostomates alike:
Foods that slow things down (or can cause blockages):
While fiber is key to healthy digestion, too much of a good thing can also be a problem. For ostomates with an ileostomy in particular (an outside opening created in the small intestine for waste discharge), undigested fibrous foods can cause complications and food blockages. Corn, dried fruit, hotdogs and sausages, pineapple, and fruit and vegetable skins are a few examples.
Foods that cause unwanted odors:
Digestive odor is created by bacteria breaking down certain foods, turning it into odorous waste and also sometimes creating odorous gases. Though some ostomy pouches have filters that deodorize and release gasses, it can be easier to simply avoid – or eat with moderation – odor-causing and gas-forming foods. Foods that cause especially strong odors include asparagus, coffee, garlic, prunes, beans, cucumbers, green peppers, radishes, brussel sprouts, eggs, milk, turnips, cabbage, fish, onions and alcoholic beverages.
If you’re indulging in an odor-causing food, try pairing it with foods that can reduce odors, such as buttermilk, parsley, yogurt, cranberry juice or spinach.
Foods that produce lots of gas:
There’s no two ways about it: some foods simply produce lots of gas during digestion. Even if gases from these foods are not as odorous as gases from the foods listed above, they can still be unpleasant and cause abdominal pains. These foods include apples, soda, dairy products, onions, asparagus, melons, beans, mushrooms, corn, broccoli, nuts, cabbage and beverages consumed through straws (you’ll swallow more air).
Foods that thicken waste:
Liquid waste can compromise the skin barrier and irritate peristomal skin. For this reason, it’s good to know what foods can thicken waste. Some thickeners include yogurt, bananas, milk, creamy peanut butter, breads, cheeses, pastas, potatoes and rice, among others.
Foods that thin waste:
Conversely, sometimes waste moves too slowly through the digestive system or is too firm for comfort. Fruits and fruit juices, chocolate and green beans are a few of the foods that can thin overly firm stool.
Diarrhea happens to everyone – and the end result is fluid, potassium and sodium loss. Dehydration is a top concern with diarrhea, and can be a serious risk for ostomates. Along with plenty of liquids, consider adding foods slightly higher in potassium and sodium (salt) until the digestive tract returns to normal. Some foods high in potassium include milk, chicken, beef, fish, pork, turkey, lima beans, V8 Juice, apricots, bananas, avocado, tomato juice, potatoes, broccoli, grapefruit juice, oranges and orange juice, watermelon and strawberries. Foods high in sodium are not hard to find; most pre-packaged foods, canned soups and seasonings have high sodium content, and simple table salt can counter the deficiency.
A complete ostomy nutrition guide can be found here. For more ostomy information and to buy ostomy supplies, visit www.totalhomecaresupplies.com. Fast, free, discreet shipping for all your ostomy needs!
Need ConvaTec, Hollister or Coloplast ostomy products? We highly recommend one of our top sellers: the ActiveLife® One-Piece Drainable Pouch by ConvaTec! The ActiveLife® One-Piece Drainable Pouch is a lightweight, flexible, one-piece system that patients and nurses have trusted for over two decades. It’s an easy-to-use one-piece ostomy system that combines both skin barrier and pouch into one unit. The popular ActiveLife® one-piece drainable pouch is designed for maximum comfort and long wear time .
These pouches are offered in both opaque and transparent colors, with either a pre-cut or cut-to-fit skin barrier. Its durable comfort panel is odor-proof and rustle-free to maintain discretion. The ActiveLife® One-Piece Drainable Pouch also comes with the option of either a Stomahesive (“standard wear”) Skin Barrier, or a Durahesive Plus (“extended wear”) Skin Barrier. The Stomahesive Skin Barrier – best when managing a colostomy – helps protect the skin against semi-formed to formed stool, while the Durahesive Plus Skin Barrier – best when managing an ileostomy – helps protect the skin against semi-liquid to liquid stool. For all Activelife one-piece drainable pouch options, see here.
Need additional products for comfort and fit? Our top-selling ConvaTec Stomahesive Paste is another popular product! ConvaTec Stomahesive Paste provides a protective skin barrier which can be used to fill in uneven skin surfaces, and help increase ostomy system wear-time. Use it to fill gaps between the skin barrier and your stoma, making a smooth surface for barrier attachment while protecting your skin at the same time.
Are you ready for twice the love? TotalHomeCareSupplies.com is pleased to offer you TWO special coupons during the month of February for all your medical supply needs! Use these promo codes to save on all brand names like Prevail, Depends, ConvaTec, Hollister, Coloplast & more.
Don’t let yourself run out of supplies – order ahead and save! Be sure to take advantage of these special offers:
We know you work hard for your dollars, so we work hard too. That’s why on all orders over $40, shipping is free! Our products are shipped quickly and discreetly in unmarked boxes, so that no-one knows the contents but you. Once your order is shipped, we’ll e-mail you a shipping confirmation with a tracking number, so that you can track your package every step of the way.
We can’t say it enough : we appreciate your business. Our goal is to provide you with the most competitive prices, so that you can count on finding the supplies you need for the best value. Thank you for choosing TotalHomeCareSupplies.
An ostomy is a surgical operation that creates a new outside opening for body wastes. This new opening is called a stoma, and requires special products for daily care. For many with colon or bowel cancer, injuries or congenital defects, an ostomy is the best – sometimes only – option available in order to resume a normal, active life. The numbers vary, but range from 70,000 to 120,000 Americans undergoing ostomy surgery each year, witah approximately half a million ostomates currently living in the United States and Canada. Some stomas are meant to be temporary, while others are permanent. Several manufacturers such as Hollister, Coloplast and ConvaTec make terrific products which are designed for functionality, discreetness, and disposability. The placement of stomas can vary greatly, and this has a strong influence on which products are right for you.
1) What size is my stoma? For the first few weeks or even months after surgery, your stoma may change in size and shape as your body recovers. Once recovered, your stoma should no longer change. This will influence whether you choose a Cut-to-Fit Barrier or a Pre-Cut Barrier.
2) Where is my stoma located? Depending on the reason for your surgery, your stoma may be located in your small intestine, your large intestine, or in your urinary tract. For a stoma in the small intestine and in the earlier portions (ascending colon) of your large intestine, the discharge will be rich in digestive enzymes and more irritating to the skin. An Extended Wear Barrier is a good choice for this type of stoma because it offers more robust skin protection. A stoma in the later portions of the large intestine, such as in the transverse, descending and sigmoid colon, is less rich in digestive enzyme content, and a Standard Wear Barrier may be preferred. In addition, before ordering supplies you may want to consider whether or not you want a barrier with or without an additional tape border. While tape can always be added as desired for extra security, depending on your lifestyle, the barrier with tape may be a convenient choice for you.
3) What kind of barrier & pouch system do I need? There are two different types of barrier & pouch systems you can choose from: a One Piece System or a Two Piece System. Each system has its advantages, and for many people the choice comes down to personal preference. In a one piece system, the skin barrier is attached to the pouch, making the unit all one piece. In a two piece system, there is a skin barrier with flange (a snap-on ring) and a detachable pouch that snaps onto the barrier. The two piece system allows the user to easily change out the pouch without needing to remove the skin barrier. Both systems offer a variety of pouch options, including drainable or closed, opaque or transparent, or with or without filter, among others. While the many options to choose from can be overwhelming at first, the variety of products allows you to customize your products to match your own unique needs.
4) What size flange do I need? No matter which system you prefer, in order to purchase supplies you’ll need to know what size flange you need. This is because:
If you’re not sure what size flange you need, contact your WOCN (Wound Ostomy Continence Nurse). You can also obtain this information from the manufacturer number (MF#) on your current pouch, because each MF# is unique to a specific size as well as to a specific product.
Are you ready to order? Great! Don’t forget to take a moment to think about any additional products that may make your day-to-day usage more comfortable. From adhesive removers and pastes to deodorizing powders and lubricants, there are many terrific companion products available.
When dealing with the problem of being incontinent, the most import question is not how do you spell incontinence, but rather where do you get incontinence supplies from. TotalHomeCareSupplies.com has all of the incontinent supplies for your specific needs.
Adult Diapers, Adult Pull-ups, Underpads, Incontinence Cream, Incontinence Wash, Adult Liners, Male protective guards, disposable washcloths, over night adult incontinence protection and more. Click here to see all of the products for your incontinence needs from popular brands like First Quality, Prevail, Depend, Poise, Tranquility, Dignity, Tena, Ca Rezz, Secure Personal Care, ConvaTec and more.
Aquacel Ag Hydrofiber Dressing with Ionic Silver from TotalHomeCareSupplies is a reliable wound care product. The dressing, by ConvaTec, incorporates hydrofiber technology with silver combining the favorable gelling characteristics with the broad-spectrum antimicrobial properties of ionic silver. It is a versatile primary dressing indicated for moderate to high wounds that are infected or at risk of infection.
Home Healthcare Companies strive to provide customers with low prices, reliable products, and quick delivery. TotalHomeCareSupplies provides all of these factors including a long history of customer satisfaction. Our product categories support a variety of different medical needs to suit everyone’s unique demands.
Ostomy: we offer numerous barriers and pouches to fit to your individual shape and preference. A variety of barriers are offered, with your choice of 1 piece, 2 piece, closed, and drainable pouches. All are from dependable brand names such as Hollister and Convatec.
Urological: manufacturers such as Kendall and Coloplast, to name only a couple, supply us with quality urological supplies. Catheters of all types are available with the accessories and irrigation systems you need for your next purchase.
Nutrition: a number of adult and pediatric formulas are available in different flavors to suit your taste. Nestle and Corflo-Ultra, and other great manufacturer’s pump supplies are also available with all necessary accessories for a comprehensive order.
Wound: 3M is one of the popular brands and a leaders in wound care supplies that our company hosts. Bandages, dressings, gauze, and tape are all available in one place for your convenience, TotalHomeCareSupplies. Other accessories are also available, including skin care products and wraps.
Diabetes: though diabetes is a small part of our company, that doesn’t change the high quality of our products. Arkray is a leading competitor within the diabetic supply industry. We can supply you with meters, lancets and test strips all in one quick order.
Order the supplies you need, and we will deliver. With our EZ Ship process you can automatically receive your supplies at the intervals you set, have the luxury of front door delivery, and be supported by our customer service team should any questions arise. Make your order today!
Care More. Spend Less. Save Now.
Convatec‘s Sur-Fit Natura product line provides quality ostomy products with features that guarantee effectiveness and durability. The skin barrier technologies contain plastic rings for quick and easy barrier-to- pouch application. The barriers form to everyone’s unique shape for zero leakage. Those with active lifestyles no longer need to constantly worry or be conscious of their ostomy. Sur-Fit products are reliable and offer the security you are looking for.
• Sur-Fit Natura Stomahesive Skin Barrier with Flange is a reliable skin barrier with a low-profile flange that provides excellent security because of a unique formula that enables the skin barrier/wafer to adhere to both dry and moist skin. Without tape collar. 5×5 Cut to fit.
• ConvaTec Sur-Fit Natura Two Piece Drainable Pouch is a 12 inch drainable pouch with 2-sided comfort panel.The two-piece system provides versatility and can be removed or interchanged with other pouch types without removal of the skin barrier/wafer. Odor-proof and quiet under clothing. Includes two tail closures in each box. Opaque.
• ConvaTec Sur-Fit Natura Disposable Convex Inserts. Disposable convex insets are designed to snap into flange or ring adding convexity to the standard skin barrier for improved management of retracted stomas. For use with Sur Fit Natura skin barriers.
Also within this product line comes numerous other valuable elements. Drainable pouches are available with InvisiClose clipless tail closure or the traditional tail clip. You have choices of drainable, closed-end, or urostomy pouches, and pre-cut, cut-to-fit, or moldable barriers. Also, within drainable and closed-end pouches, there is a charcoal filter available to deodorize and release gas. Pouch comfort panels are designed to be odor-proof, and help maintain discretion. All of these great features are here for you to take advantage of!