BPA (Bisphenol A) is a chemical additive in many food and liquid containers that helps to harden plastics, keep bacteria from contaminating foods, and prevent cans from rusting. BPA can be found in many hard plastic items, including baby bottles, water bottles, food containers and other storage containers. It can also be found in the lining inside metal containers that come into contact with foods or beverages, such as food cans and bottle tops.
However, there are concerns over the possible harmful effects that ingesting BPA might have on humans, especially on infants and children. There are several studies underway to determine what levels of BPA exposure may be harmful. In the meantime, concerned parents can reduce their babies’ exposure to BPA by taking the following steps:
- Use a BPA-free breast pump, and make sure all parts that come into contact with breast milk are BPA-free
- Use BPA-free plastic baby bottles
- Avoid clear plastic baby bottles or containers imprinted with recycling number 7 and “PC”
- Use bottles made of opaque plastic, or look for containers imprinted with recycling numbers 2 or 5
- If possible, breastfeed instead of using formula, which is frequently packaged in metal cans
Heat may cause the release of BPA from plastic. If you are concerned that the bottles or containers you use are made with BPA, consider the following precautions:
- Do not boil plastic bottles or containers
- Do not heat plastic bottles or containers in the microwave
- Do not wash plastic bottles or containers made with BPA in the dishwasher
BPA-Free Breastfeeding Products
TotalHomeCare is committed to the health of all parents and babies, which is why we carry breastfeeding products that are 100% BPA-free. Ameda has been a hospital-trusted brand for more than 70 years, and the Ameda Purely Yours Double Electric Breast Pump Kit is 100% BPA-free. All accessories that come into contact with breast milk or your baby are also 100% BPA-free, including CustomFit Breast Flanges, Store’N Pour Breast Milk Storage bags and Breast Milk Storage Bottles. In addition, Ameda’s Dual HygieniKit collection system is the only milk collection system approved by the FDA to protect against cross contamination. Click here to see all BPA-free breastfeeding supplies at TotalHomeCareBaby.